In the News
BIG BROTHERS NEEDED FOR WAITING BOYS!
Mentoring works! Big Brothers Big Sisters believes one of the most effective strategies for building its nationwide network of support is to maintain on-going communication with its alumni. Therefore, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America commissioned Harris Interactive to contact a group of adults who had been Littles for over a year and ask questions about their experience as Littles and about their well-being as adults.
Large majorities of the Adult Littles reported important benefits associated with participation in Big Brothers Big Sisters, as evidenced by their descriptions of the influence program participation had on their lives and their perceived success compared to peers not in the program.
- 64% said that their relationship with their Big was extremely important or very important
- 62% considered themselves to be more successful than their peers who weren't involved in the program
- 90% said their Big provided stability when they needed it
- 81% said their Big changed their perspective on what they thought possible in life
- 90% overwhelmingly reported their relationship with their Big helped in making better choices throughout their childhood.
More specifically, alumni reported that having a Big played an important role in who they are today by positively influencing their self-confidence, providing stability, changing their perspective on life and pushing them to set higher goals than they would have. Overcoming problems with courage, honesty, being a team player, and respecting others are all character traits that alumni say were also positively influenced by having been a Little. These are just a few of the successes outlined in the report (Proprietary Research conducted by Harris Interactive for Big Brothers Big Sisters).Meet two great male mentoring relationships and learn why recruiting role models is so important, especially for our boys!
© 2011 Big Brothers Big Sisters of The Mid-South, Inc., 1005 Tillman Street, Suite 223, Memphis, TN 38112
Big Brothers Big Sisters, the Big Brothers Big Sisters logo, and Start Something are service marks of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, Inc. (BBBSA) and are used under a license from BBBSA. All rights reserved.